May 20, 2018

Save it for Sunday | 5.20.18

Happy Sunday! This week I am adding something new. My favorite Eloise-ism from the week. You guys, this girl. She says the funniest, most ridiculous things! She is constantly surprising me and making me laugh out loud. I know I will kick myself years down the road if I don't start documenting her quotes somewhere.

The Highlights


Eloise got fitted for her first dance recital costume! I was initially not a fan of the costume itself, but seeing them all together as a class in their cheetah print made my heart skip. Costume day at the studio ranks right up there with Christmas morning. These girls were ECSTATIC. I was also able to capture a practice run of their exit off stage after their performance. Eloise is the very last one stage right, and they exit stage left. So my tiny dancer has to chasse all the way across the big stage. And boy does she go after it! She doesn't cheat a single step. The other moms have promised me they will hoot and holler on show day as she slowly makes her determined little way across. At the end of the video you can hear her teacher Miss Debi say, "I'm telling you that's going to be the best part of recital right there."


On Friday night I had plans to take my zoo over to a new friends house. Her husband is deployed right now, and Friday was the inaugural gathering of a reoccurring dinner group she will be hosting. We were only going to be able to stay for an hour before bedtime melt downs hit, that is until our new babysitter texted me. Her flight out of town had randomly been cancelled, and she wondered if I needed a night out. Serendipity! This mama really needed the good food and laughter that followed with no overtired hooligans to chase around. Not much can beat the solidarity of sweet military wives after conquering another solo week of work or parenting (kids and puppies alike) while missing our spouses. I left feeling uplifted and thankful. Thankful for the quality time with five strong women and new friends. And that someone else had fed my kids, bathed them, and put them to bed so I didn't have to. 

Saturday was a much anticipated day at our house. Dadford was home! For another fleeting day off he came home from the field, and we soaked up every minute with him. We went on a donut date, both kids had their assessment for new swimming lessons, and we attended a great unicorn themed birthday party for Eloise's best friend Paisley. I think the highlight for me though was Brad serving up a gourmet lunch of grilled cheese and tomato soup to me on the couch while we watched the very first episode ever of Grey's Anatomy. Is anyone else out there still watching with me after 14 seasons? I still love it, and Brad had voiced a desire to start from the beginning. It was an unusually chilly day yesterday, so the comfort food, husband cuddles, and nostalgia were just what the doctor ordered. In all honesty, I feel a little bit like I am at my breaking point on week three of this field training when he was originally supposed to be away for two nights. I can do the time apart, but I certainly do it much better when I am given proper mental preparation. I woke up in the wee hours this morning to Brad quietly sneaking out of bed and placing his pillow up against my back where he should be. Back at it. I wiped away a few tears and will be thankful all week for the gift of yesterday together. 




The Small Moments


On Monday night after a full day of sun it rained hard for only a few minutes. With the storm door screen on the front of the house open and the middle window facing the backyard open we get the most amazing cross breeze. I stopped and stood next to Oliver and Lola, my original babies, sitting in the window sill looking out at the mountains to the left and prairie to the right. We smelled the rain and felt the breeze. Man did it feel good. There is not much I love more than a spring storm and a cat (or two) in a window sill. They know how to recognize and appreciate the goodness of life! Not to mention our view as the storm rolled in over the mountains was pretty okay too.


The cows came home. Literally! The first few weeks we were in our new house in October we had cow friends in the prairie behind us. We saw them every morning for a while, and then they disappeared for the winter. Well, they're back! And with a lot of baby calves (busy winter). This morning I could hear moo's from bed, and sure enough, a cow parade was marching right by our fence. By the time the kids were up to welcome them back, there was a hot air balloon floating out there too. I have said it once but I'll say it again, the magic of this backyard is unbeatable. We can't get enough of it. Eloise spent a good portion of the morning moo-ing back at them. And Oliver, the only one not a fan of the cows, spent a good portion of his morning protecting us from the intruders.


I usually spend nap time cleaning, finally feeding myself hours after lunch should have happened, catching up on shows on Hulu, and scrolling through Instagram while not even watching the show I sat down to enjoy. This week I have made the back patio my nap time hang out instead of the couch. On Tuesday I sat in the sun and read Rachel Hollis' "Girl, Wash Your Face" while exchanging Marco Polo messages with my lifelong friend Josh. He had encouraged me to download the app earlier that morning, and so far I am loving it for exchanging videos without the FaceTime pressure of connecting at the same time or the comparison monster of social media creeping in. Anyways, I sat in the sunshine and laughed out loud at Rachel's writing and at a funny Josh story. And I laughed when the sprinklers came on and I didn't even bother to move I was enjoying my "me" time out there so much.

The Ways We Grew


Sorry in advance to the non-parents out there for this one. But when Harvey poops in his diaper now he walks right up to me and says "poop." Actually, it sounds more like "pewp" which makes it exponentially cuter. Is it possible that there will come a day when we are at last a diaper free family?! I consider his "pewp" realizations and confessions as a step in the right direction!

We have a budding artist in the house. After quite some time of silence from the playroom, Eloise came running out with her magnadoodle. "LOOK! Humpty Dumpty!" This marks the first time she has shown any skill past the scribble and her signature kitty face. We had a few friends over for a play date at the time, and I think they might have thought I was nuts given my thrill over the oval and lines she revealed. But c'mon. So cute!


Eloise is finally earning her keep. Kidding! Sort of. She is taking after her mama and showing her love of a good routine. She has a few daily tasks that she is responsible for, and she takes great pride in them. Her favorites are clearing her dishes and Harvey's from the table after meals and watering our potted plants. These pictures made me lose my breath. Stunning and so big. And for those of you who know her, Aunt Meredith's twin, right??



The Eloise-ism


"When I grow up, I'm going to have earrings and big boobies."

There is video proof. It will be played at her wedding someday.


I will leave you with this. Don't mind me while I have a sign from the universe moment. Earlier this week a hummingbird flew right up to me in our backyard, hovered there for what felt like a very long time, then flitted away. It right away reminded me of one of my favorite quotes featured on the insert of Papyrus greeting cards. You know, the fancy, beautiful ones you can never afford.

"Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration. Hummingbirds open our eyes to the wonder of the world and inspire us to open our hearts to loved ones and friends. Like a hummingbird, we aspire to hover and to savor each moment as it passes, embrace all that life has to offer and to celebrate the joy of everyday. The hummingbird's delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life's sweetest creation."

Thank you universe. I needed that sweet and perfect sign. And I'll be putting my hummingbird feeder up this week.

I hope your week was a happy one!

No comments: