May 13, 2018

Save it for Sunday | 5.13.18

The very first Save it for Sunday! Welcome.

Most of these will be a tiny bit rambling and maybe even a little boring for some of you. But I am hoping to create a snapshot of our week including a few of the big moments we enjoyed, the simple small ones that made us smile, and a few ways we grew as a family.

This past week is a biggie for me every year. It was nurses appreciation week, military spouse appreciation day on Friday, and Mother's Day today. Might as well declare this one Kayla week next year, right? Here is how we celebrated.

The Highlights


I finally put the finishing touches on our newly decorated guest bedroom. From now through June we've got seven sets of visitors coming!! Back to back most weekends. I am so thrilled we finally live somewhere that our friends and family are excited to visit. Where were all of you when we lived in middle of nowhere, Missouri?! Just kidding. I really can't even blame you. Not for a single second. Anyways, prior to my decorating, the room was an old bed frame with a hand me down mattress. That is it. Now it is such an enjoyable space Brad said we should just move into it from the master bedroom. I tried to really think through what little details would make the room comfortable and accommodating for all of our travelers. I hope my mission was a success. At the very least, the room is a beauty. I look forward to my peek inside at the top of the steps every trip upstairs.



We discovered a great park and met new friends. A playdate that felt a little like a blind date (set up through a mutual Facebook friend) was fortunately a hit! We met up at a park near us that we had never been to before. I highly recommend Bear Creek Park for our Colorado Springs friends, and Eloise will likely be on her first soccer team that meets up there on Saturday mornings throughout the summer. What struck me about it was that it was so green. I wasn't expecting Colorado to be so...brown...dead? You can tell Bear Creek is well cared for, and it's lush open space was much appreciated by the tiny pitter patter of the feet of new friends as they chased each other and giggled. The mom is also a nurse with a sweet little 3-year-old girl with blond, curly hair. Needless to say, we had a lot in common. The girls got along great, conversation between the moms flowed easily, and Harvey was just happy to be along for the ride in the sunshine as per usual.

Jackie came to visit! On Friday, military spouse appreciation day, we picked up one of my longest and most beloved Army wife friends from the airport. She is pregnant with twin girls, and seeing her perfect bump for the first time was emotional in the best sort of way. Jackie just returned to the States after living in Italy for three years, so how could I say no when she lit up at the sight of Target and Chick-fil-A? The best part of our time together was exactly that. We made small outings that might seem mundane to most, but just being together was more than enough. She is one of those friends who just soaks up time spent watching the kids be kids and was thrilled to sit in our blow up pool eating popsicles together in the backyard during naptime. We did have a babysitter over last night so we could sneak in a date night just the two of us. The dinner and pedicures were lovely. The conversation, relaxation, and sangria from the full service bar at the nail salon was priceless. This morning Brad surprised us home from field training with two sets of gorgeous flowers in hand. He spoiled us each with heartfelt cards (Jackie cried) and chocolate chip pancakes. My love meter sure was overflowing sitting at the kitchen table on Mother's Day morning with them.


Eloise took this silly picture. I sort of love it.



 


The Small Moments


Harvey can identify his belly, nose, and head now. He loves to be asked, and his smile makes it obvious how proud he is of his new party trick. I dare you not to smile watching the video.

Eloise has been sick with a nasty stomach bug the past few days. Great timing for Mother's Day. Although I do really think nothing says Happy Mother's Day quite like snuggles with your preschooler that hardly ever snuggles anymore. Brad's original surprise plans for us was to do a new hike and go to what he described as a family spa in Denver. Eloise and I had Mommy & Me Manicures scheduled. She overheard us canceling our reservation and got really upset. To help cure the sadness I took her along with her puke bucket out to the patio for some sunshine and girl time. After I painted her nails and toe nails she thought it would be best to swing to air dry them. She and I sat on the swings together while Brad, Harvey, and Ruby ran through a sea of bubbles. As it turns out, it was the perfect Mother's Day.


It sounds silly, but ever since I put my hiatus from social media into action, the moments I have enjoyed the most are just watching my kids run (or waddle in Harvey's case) around the backyard. Ruby is usually right there with them every step of the way. We ate homemade watermelon lime popsicles one afternoon and Eloise taught Harvey, entirely unprompted by me, to cheers with their treats. The combination of this week's perfect weather and our backyard view and set up has made for the best play time lately.

The Ways We Grew


Harvey finally has new teeth to expand upon his goofy two toothed grin! When I was changing his diaper the other day I made him do a big belly laugh and noticed two of his MOLARS have come through. So strange. And we didn't even have a clue. My kids are both such easy teethers. If there is one thing we know about Harvey its that he forges his own path when it comes to his milestones. He takes his sweet time and I guess takes the path less traveled when it comes to the usual tooth eruption pattern. I can't help but laugh every time I imagine his new smile with only his two bottom teeth, two molars, and two canines which appear to be next in line. In addition to new teeth, Harvey's vocabulary seems to grow by leaps and bounds daily now too. His new and favorite words are currently mama, duck, up, help, hug, book, milk, snack, and bubble.


Eloise officially asks for her cup without a lid at every meal and doesn't spill a drop. So big now. First it's the lid on her cup, next thing I know she's moving away to college. She also discovered during her time on the couch with the stomach bug that she loves the movie Shrek. Which I think is hilarious. For a few months now whenever she feels like she has disappointed you or can tell someone is sad she will say, "Are you happy? Are you happy right now?" It's adorable but also a little heart breaking that she is so in tune with and affected by negative emotions at such a young age. She is certainly a people pleaser. This week though she added a new request to the end of her questions. "Show me your big smile." We've been smiling a lot around here lately, even when we don't feel like it. When Eloise asks you to smile big, you smile big without even needing to force it.

There you have it. My first Save it for Sunday complete! I do want to say thank you quickly to everyone who has reached out to support me in this change. It means a lot to hear so many of you say you are feeling the exact same way and my words have inspired you to make a change too. I also do feel a little bit guilty but flattered at the number of people who are right there with Grandma Sue in missing our social media presence, particularly on Instagram stories. Direct quote from a sweet friend: "I might go through withdrawals without videos of Eloise's sunshine and rainbows outlook on life." It makes my heart so thankful that what I have shared of my kids has painted their personalities in an entirely accurate way. I hope these highlights will help maintain a small connection that you will enjoy weekly. I'll be back here again next Sunday after another week soaking up the sunshine and rainbows. And probably a few rain clouds too if I'm keeping it real.



No comments: