I thought to myself just yesterday that my blog has been wildly neglected lately. As if I had asked the blog gods of the universe for direct inspiration, a few hours later my sister Whitney texted me: "Hi seester! Check my blog when you get a chance."
Whitney is the proud mama of Whitney a la mode - a fashion blog she started this past year as her own personal motivation to have less sweat pant days (we are all guilty) and more days dressed to feel fabulous. She uses her blog as an accountability tool and as a way to look back and track her progress. With the miles from Tennessee to Virginia between us, I love checking in to see her smiling face and what she has been up to lately. Not to mention it was a blast during the holidays to hear our family members talk about how Whitney has inspired them to step up their style game a bit.
I digress. Whitney has lovingly nominated me for a Liebster Award! From what I've deduced, this is just a fun way for new bloggers to share more about themselves and maybe gain a few more followers. Because I started this blog mostly for family and friends to keep up with our adventures with the Army and for our own documentation and memories, I will admit I'm not too concerned about a mass number of followers. Of course, the more the merrier, and this will hopefully jump start me into updating more frequently now that we are well into 2014 already!
Here's How it Works:
First, post 11 random facts about yourself.
Then, answer the 11 questions
that the person who nominated you will post.
Finally, choose 11 new blogs
with under 200 followers for their Liebster Award, notify them that they have
been nominated, and think of 11 questions for them to answer!
11 Random Things About Me:
1. Cheese is my favorite food. Cheesy pasta. Grilled cheese. Cheese pizza. Cheese everything.
2. I decided I wanted to be a nurse at 12-years-old when my cousin Rachel was born premature. She spent time in the NICU, and I decided on my career path watching the neonatal nurses there care for her. I try to keep this in mind on a daily basis. You never know when someone is being inspired by you.
am not even remotely athletic. I tried soccer in elementary school and
would literally pray before each game that I wouldn't be chosen to be
the goalie. And then I married Brad, whose entire successful hockey
career has been in the net as a goalie.
4. I consider my mom and dad two of my very best friends. I still call them on a daily basis. As individuals and as a couple, they are my role models.
5. I was the editor-in-chief of my school newspaper in high school. My favorite classes were AP Language & Composition, Journalism and AP Literature. I tested out of and never took a single English related course in college and graduated with a nursing degree. I guess I like science too.
6. My family nickname is Kakes, pronounced like cakes. I really have no
idea why or where it came from, but my family and a few close family
friends still call me Kakes.
7. My hometown, Saint Joseph, Michigan, is a popular vacation destination on Lake Michigan for celebrities and rich Chicago dwellers. I served Billy Zane (the bad guy from Titanic) and was once given a $100 bill as a tip for one glass of milk at the restaurant on the beach where I worked during the summer.
8. I get terrible motion sickness and think it is one of life's biggest curses.
9. I love to dance. My favorite style was always tap, and I met my curly girl Aura in Miss Rhonda's intermediate tap class! I think tap dancing is an incredible and under appreciated art. I went on to be a Lakeshore Lancerette, a member of our pom squad/dance team, in high school.
10. I consider myself shy which can be very problematic paired with our Army lifestyle. We are constantly moving, requiring me to make new friends on a regular basis. I do like that this challenges and encourages me to step out of my comfort zone.
11. I would take in any and every homeless dog or cat that crossed my path if I had the room and resources.
Whitney's Questions for Me:
1. If you could have two celebrities as parents, who would you choose and why?
Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi. I DVR literally every episode of Ellen. My mom claims that stems from her addiction to watching Ellen's stand up comedy while I was just a bun in the oven. I'm pretty sure life would be non-stop laughs with Ellen as your mom. Plus they are major animal lovers. And they live in a gorgeous house with loads of land and outdoor entertaining space. Also, Ellen is friends with all the best celebrities...major perk. Oh and I could probably borrow cute clothes from Portia's closet.
2. What is your favorite season and why?
Definitely fall. I love the cool weather perfect for scarves and cozy sweaters. I love pumpkin picking and carving. I love football season and tailgates on the banks of the Red Cedar (Go Green!). I love cinnamon sugar donuts paired with hot cider at apple orchards. I love it all.
3. What is your favorite breakfast cereal?
Reeses Puffs. Or if I'm feeling like I want to pretend to be healthy, Blueberry Morning.
4. Why did you start blogging?
I love to write. Please see random fact #5 above. That passion paired with a new married lifestyle requiring me to be far from family and friends inspired me to start blogging. I hoped our loved ones would enjoy popping in here for Witt family updates. Not to mention I think it will be super awesome years from now to take an online trip down memory lane. Blog writing is definitely a type of journal and form of personal catharsis for me.
5. What is your go-to beauty product?
This is going to sound very lame, but Cetaphil products. I have super sensitive skin and a big history of skin cancer in my family, so I swear by them. I've been using their face wash and face lotion for years and couldn't live without them.
6. What TV shows are you currently addicted to?
We tend to get addicted to shows on Netflix so we can just zoom through seasons one after another in true TV junkie form. Most recent addictions: Breaking Bad, How I Met Your Mother, Friday Night Lights and Orange is the New Black. I also could never tire of the Property Brothers or House Hunters on HGTV.
7. Who is your celebrity crush?
I usually fall for characters rather than celebrities. How can I really know a celebrity well enough to truly swoon over them? Fictional characters, on the other hand? Totally logical. That being said, Seth Cohen (Adam Brody) from that old show The O.C. or Tim Riggins (Taylor Kitsch) from Friday Night Lights. And if neither Seth or Tim are available, I wouldn't be opposed to Channing Tatum. Ha!
8. What is your dream job?
There are many things besides nursing that I think would make my heart very full as well. I'd love to dabble in journalism, graphic design, interior decorating or anything involving animal rescue or care...we'll see where life takes me. I will say I am blessed with a husband who encourages me often and gives me the freedom to chase those dreams if I so choose.
9. How would you describe yourself in three words?
Quirky. Loving. Positive.
10. Where would you go on your dream vacation?
South Africa. I've always wanted to experience the safaris and savannah sunsets. Or Greece! That one is thanks to the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and my friend Despi (she is very fabulously Greek).
11. Who was your favorite teacher in school and why?
Either Ms. Zwar or Mrs. Ziegler. Ms. Zwar was the sweetest second grade teacher. Plus she gave me a mug that said, "One can never have too many cats" for never missing a single spelling word all year long. Mrs. Ziegler was my English teacher in high school. I watched her land her first job after college, get engaged and married and have two beautiful babies. We are still friends to this day and have realized I am now older than she was when we first met as teacher and student. Time flies, my friends!
My Questions for My Nominees:
1. What is your fondest childhood memory?
2. Who is your style icon, or which celebrity's style do you most often wish to match?
3. Why did you start blogging?
4. What is the one thing you would do if you knew you couldn't fail?
5. What is your favorite movie?
6. Where was your first kiss?
7. What motivates you?
8. If you could pick the next president of the United States, who would you choose?
9. Which current artists do you think will still be respected and noteworthy decades from now?
10. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three things would you bring and why?
11. If you were stranded on a dessert island, what would it be made of?
Kristin at Kristin's kNook*
Lauren at Rhino in the City
Kelly at Foxes Have More Fun
Jessica at More Than a Military Spouse
Brenna at Mrs. Brenna Sledge
Cat at In an Effort
Lindsay at Life as a Lundeen
Jill at Jillography*
Erica at Whimsical September
Jessica at Army Adventures
Whitney at The Darville Daily
*Kritin's kNook and Jillography have way more than 200 followers, but both are close friends that may be interested in this fun blog hook up. Oh and if you need any great recipes or a phenomenal photographer, look no further than their blogs!