January 29, 2020

2020 Goals

I set four goals for the new year:

  1.  Spend more time reading
  2. Spending less time on social media
  3. Send more snail mail
  4. Make it to 100 camps at Burn Bootcamp before we move this summer

The first came to be after an embarrassing conversation with my dad and sister over Christmas detailing how many books they had each read in 2019. Internally I was willing them not to ask me for my count so I didn't have to admit how few books I got through last year. In my defense, I had a lot on my plate. But I really do love to read. I crave getting lost in a book and wanting to spend every waking minute turning it's pages. My first book of 2020 is complete, and it was a phenomenal one. Five stars for The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah if you are looking to jump start your own reading goals.

My second goal lends itself perfectly to helping me achieve goal number one. For at least two years now I have been trying to find my ideal balance of living in the moment and living for social media. I love to share, but I was finding myself over and over again wrestling with big doubts about the hours logged, for me, on Facebook and Instagram. At the end of my life, what would that time spent scrolling mean? This year I am trying something new. I am staying primarily logged off of all social media every month. At the very end of it, I plan to share our family's highlights from the past four weeks through pictures and a blog post. I always come back to writing as a more meaningful way to share as well as a form of journaling that our family can enjoy years from now. Less time on social media has meant more time doing things that actually feel productive and good for the soul. Reading! For myself and to my kids. Actually catching up personally with friends rather than feeling falsely connected by leaving a thumbs up on each others' latest posts. Making it our mission to watch and review all of the Oscar nominees for best picture with Brad. It has all felt incredible. January was a tough month to kick off this new social media routine because both kids celebrated their birthdays. I truthfully fought so many times to resist the urge to post. But then I found myself thoroughly enjoying the entirety of each of their special days without any distraction. It was a really beautiful thing and change for me. After a few weeks, the lack of social media in my life not only felt normal, it was pretty freeing.

Goal three. Send more snail mail. Who doesn't love getting a hand written note in their mailbox from a loved one? It might be your birthday or might be a plain old day. No matter what it is a guaranteed mood boost. My childhood best friend Aura and my college roommate Erin have always been at the top of their snail mail sending game. Their relationships are two that I cherish the most. I suppose you could say an overarching goal of this year is to connect on a more personal level with the people that I care for. My brand new brother-in-law's birthday is January 1st, so I wasted no time in getting right to work on this one and stayed successful through month one. I even set up a cute letters box to stay organized on my new dining room shelf that replaced our deployment wall. Maybe a note is coming soon to a mailbox near you!

Did you even set goals or resolutions for the new year if one doesn't have a health and fitness theme to it? Guilty here. Every year. I am also often guilty of letting them fade away and using busy life/pregnancy/vacation/stress as an excuse as to why I didn't achieve my goals. This year I wanted something more tangible. I have a sticky note on my bathroom mirror with BURN written across the top (in cute handlettered script, of course). I add a tally mark before bed if I conquered another camp that day. Before we move this summer, I want to mark my 100th camp. It will definitely be a challenge, but Brad's face when he hugs me and feels the strength my body is gaining and Eloise's attempt at burpees and pushups "like Mommy does" is enough to keep me going.

Why am I telling you all of this? Equal parts accountability and the fact that I still really want to see and hear what you are up to! Thank you to SO many of you who took the time to connect. I appreciate you checking in to make sure my sudden disappearance from social media did not mean I had been hit by a bus or anything tragic. I would love for you to send me the growing baby bump pictures (love you, Jackie and Erin). Send all the cute cat pictures too (hi, mom). Show me where your world traveling family is this week (miss you, Michelle). Tell me what you've read lately that you couldn't put down (thank you, Kristin). I desperately still want to hear about your upcoming move (hi, Lauren) and watch silly videos of your kids (thanks for the laugh, Kelsey). Please, please, please send them all my way. And chances are I will flood you right back with pictures and updates. Just because every little joy filled Witt moment is no longer being immediately blasted out with a swipe and a click, it does not mean they aren't happening. Actually, even more of them are happening, or I am just more aware of them as I learn to be more mindful. Either way, I would love to swap happy moments with you! Exchanging life updates with friends and family this month has felt so much better than it ever has before. I am pleased to say with one month down I am 4/4 on successful goal progress and look forward to keeping it up as this year flies by as they always do.

One peek before my big January update on Friday.
Because I know you have been missing these perfect faces.

No comments: