January 29, 2013

Let the Army adventure begin!

Well, I've done it. I have finally succumbed to the typical (soon-to-be) Army wife method of sharing. The blog. As the clock struck midnight welcoming 2013 into our lives, looking into Brad's smiling eyes after our new year's kiss, I knew exactly what we both were feeling: this is our big year. Brad's graduation from West Point is nearly here, and we will vow to spend forever together shortly after. Our entrance into what we have dubbed "real Army life" as husband and wife is so close we can definitely feel it's intimidating thrill. There is so much about what is to come for us that I know we will love, but with so much to learn and adjust to there is definitely a hint (or perhaps a heap) of anxiety to be accounted for. Ready or not, here we go!  

In more immediate news and reasoning for getting this blog up and running, post night is upon us. For those of you unfamiliar with West Point and all of it's perplexing lingo, post night is an event for firsties (seniors) to be assigned their first duty station. We've submitted our top choices, and what's meant to be will be.

Thinking back to the end of November, you'll remember our excitement over Brad earning his #1 choice branch, engineers. We know we will be at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri for about five months beginning late this summer for Brad's BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course), but what follows will be determined this Thursday. These assignments are based on each cadet's rank among his class for branching and among his branch for posting. Translation: each happy moment we are feeling now and will be feeling for years to come in our new home Brad has earned for us through an enormous deal of hard work the past four years.

To wrap up my first official blog, words cannot begin to express how blessed we are to be so strongly supported across so many miles. My move to New York after graduation now feels like a baby step, one that I'm so glad I took to prove to myself that love from friends and family spans all distances no matter what. I can now jump into this next big adventure with a steady heart and (the best part!) the hand of my new husband to hold on tight to through the scary stuff. Army life often seems like a foreign world to those not living in it, but I'm hoping this blog will help keep all of you up to date and informed as our journey unfolds.

Best wishes, and warm wishes as I'm watching the snow fall here, to each of you. I am looking forward to another post on Thursday with the big news!

"If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living." -Gail Sheehy